Wednesday, April 9, 2008

ILLINOIS: Letter from Natalie Jones--Adoption Shock, April 9, 2008



CHICAGO TRIBUNE
April 9, 2008


Letter: Adoption shock

This is in response to "Adoptees look for their identity; Illinois bill would give better records access" (Metro, March 11), and the editorial and letters to the editor that followed it.

What many of adoptees don't understand is that if it were not for the privacy promised their birth mothers, they might not be here. Many women didn't have abortions because they were promised that they could count on secrecy.

I am adopted and cannot think of a good reason to disrupt someone's life. She gave me a life; that's good enough for me. I try to take care of myself and probably have the same chance of being healthy as anyone.

Some of these mothers will not be notified of this; what a shock for them. Rethink this unfair new development.—Natalie Jones

Link to article

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is, WOW. You have an interesting viewpoint, however I need to vehemently disagree. First of all, not only do birth parents have rights, but adoptees do too and it can be extremely beneficial to know medical information or other information regarding biological relatives. I don't care how happy you are with your adopted family or how uninterested you are in your birth mother; when you're sixty and learn you have a heart condition that you could have been more careful to prevent had you known you were at a higher risk, maybe you will think differently on this matter. And I'm not sixty and I don't have a heart condition, but I'm thinking about my future, and I happen to care more about my well-being than the privacy of my birth parents, especially because they cannot be contacted unless they give consent. I'm sorry if you don't put such an emphasis on your health, but many of us do and it's NOT a matter of trying to get information on our biological parents so that we can stalk them or ruin their lives in a twisted revenge plot, it's simply a matter of wanting to have all the information that anyone else has about their family who is biologically related to them.